Plastics machining is a specialized area of expertise that AMI PLASTICS has developed. Plastics machining requires a different approach than metals machining because of the unique work-holding and tooling required to hold tolerances and surface finishes.
Plastic machining techniques that we employ:
- Stress relieving : of plastic before or as an interim step the production process to produce required tolerances
- Fixturing/Workholding : Plastics must be fixtured or held in such a way as to not induce stress into the material
- Burrs : plastic require special tools and deburring methods to manufacture cost effectivley
- Finishes : Plastic requires specific tool geometries for optimum machining speeds
- Hardware Inserts : Many times installing thread inserts into plastic is great way to achieve thread strength in plastic